Friday, October 13, 2006

lost book

Bit sad today as I left my book on the train and I was really looking forward to downing some wine and devouring it tonight. Yes, after no less than five aborted attempts, I am finally enjoying Wuthering Heights.

I have submitted an online lost property form to South West Trains, where you have to list your personal details, outline your journey and then meticulously describe your lost object. Reading mine back, I felt quite proud of my little book taking a voyage to Waterloo and probably back through south west London and, with Truman Capote in mind, considered this is a book would break the heart:

A small red hardback Everyman copy of Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Missing dust jacket. Inside front cover has handwritten inscription to a young girl whose name begins with 'M' (Margeret? Marjory?) congratulating her on finishing the Lower IX at school, dated 1950-something. Inside there is also a small yellow post-it note with train timetable details on it. The bookmark is a postcard of Caravaggio's painting of Salome with the Head of John Baptist from the National Gallery with some handwritten notes on the back. I was sitting on one of the single seats near the doors, and left my book in the nook between the train walls and the seat. I was sitting in one of the carriages that enables you to get off right by the stairs leading into Vauxhall train station.


So, if you find it, and you like that sort of thing, I guess you can keep it. But if this sort of thing bores you to tears or inspires snorts of derision, please return my book to the surly people at South West trains and reunite us. Or throw it on the moors where it belongs.

2 Comments:

At 14 October, 2006 20:03 , Blogger raspberry beret said...

thanks Alex - I've bought a cheapo wordsworth classic edition to ensure I don't break the spell - and please do keep an eye out :). Here's something that will horrify you - Brixton Library has neither Wuthering Heights nor Brideshead Revisited, tut tut, eh?

 
At 16 October, 2006 11:57 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

doll, what a loss. that was a nice little copy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home