Saturday, July 28, 2007

book of the week: how i live now


I've literally just finished this baffling, infuriating, beautiful, flawed, utterly absorbing, peculiar-beyond-belief, raw, intoxicating novel and feel slightly swamped with a tangle of strange emotions approximating a ball of wool massacred by kittens. So please, somebody I know read it so we can talk about it. I really hope E. Jones doesn't mind that I've used her(?) review from amazon.co.uk as a lazy way of trying to persuade you to read it, but I absolutely love this - it reads like a British incarnation of the book's protagonist, Daisy, had written it, and crackles with the buzz of having read something incredible:

This book made me cry several times. And i laughed many times. I picked it up in Waterstones becuase the book cover caught my eye (i know they say never judge a book by its cover, but i was right this time!!) and i bought it. when i tried to read it the first time, i has just finished reading Angus Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging, and anyone who has read that will know it is written in a completely different way to How I Live Now. so i put How I Live Now away because i didn't like the first page. But then, at my grandma's i had nothing else to read so i started reading it again. and got completely sucked into it! I completely thought that i was Daisy! And Edmond sounded gorgy! Then i kept ready. And i was in tears about the whole massacre thing!
if you want to read a classic, then you have to read this. utterly fabuloso. you will adore it.
it is now on the top shelf of my bookcase because that is where all my fave books are (like Avalon High by Meg Cabot, Let's Get Lost by Sarra Manning etc) because i'm tall and it's more convenient having my faves up the top.
Read it or you're just weird.
Also, if you don't cry or laugh or smile, then you need to buy another heart!!!
READ IT!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home