Wednesday, July 18, 2007

since sliced bread


I think this has to be the greatest hat ever designed in the history of time. My knitting friends - I implore you to prove your oft-professed devotion and make me one. Pattern's right here.

And while we're on the subject, this month's edition of Little White Lies is joyously dedicated to Studio Ghibli's latest output, an adaptation of Ursula K Le Guin's Tales from Earthsea. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Le Guin has famously said she feels betrayed by Ghibli, unlike Diana Wynne-Jones' rather more amicable, if not bemused shrug at Howl's Moving Castle. Like the incredibly smart, incredibly knowledgeable goddess of anime, Helen McCarthy, interviewed here, I'm increasingly concerned by the lack of original plots coming from the studio, and the ever-approaching retirement of Miyazaki (Earthsea is directed by Goro, Hayao's son). But perhaps as one of the most significant careers in cinema history approaches its end, we're about to burst into a brand new dawn of anime...and while we wait, I'll be ready with my popcorn for Earthsea.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home